Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2014

Daily Thoughts

In the Book of Mormon we read how grateful Ammon was for the great blessings the Lord had bestowed on him and his brethren. The Lamanites had been in darkness, but now many of them had been converted and brought to the light of God.  And Ammon was grateful that he and his brethren had been able to be instruments in the hands of God to help bring this to pass.  Alma 26:1-4 "And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus: My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?  And now, I ask, what great blessings has he bestowed upon us? Can ye tell?  Behold, I answer for you; for our brethren, the Lamanites, were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work.  Behold, thousands of them do rejoice, and have been brought into the fold of God."

In the Old Testament we read some familiar verses about paying tithing.  If we don't pay it we are robbing God and will be cursed with a curse.  If we do pay it, the Lord will open the windows of heaven for it, that we'll receive so many blessings there won't be room enough to receive them.  I have found this to be so true in my ow life.  As long as I pay my tithing, I always seem to have enough money for what I need, and miracles seem to occur to make sure that I do.  Malachi 3:8-11 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.  Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts."

A verse with a thought booklet tells us that unless the law of the Lord is our delight, we can perish in affliction. Did you know that it says nine times in the Book of Psalms that the word of the Lord is a delight? Do we think of it that way, and actually delight in it? Actually having faith in the Lord can bring us great joy and help us get through any difficulties that come our way. And that, indeed, is a delight!   Psalms 119:92 "Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction."

No comments: